HeavyReader's Reviews > What to Expect When You're Expecting

Jun 21, 07

bookshelves: pregnancy-birth-abortion
Recommended for: NO ONE!
Read in November, 2000

Avoid this book at all costs!

It infantilizes pregnant women and tells them to just go along with whatever the doctor says they should do. I also remember it being very hetero-normative.

A much better book is The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger.

The only thing What to Expect When You're Expecting is good for is starting a fire to keep the expectant mother warm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What to Expect When You're Expecting.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Midgettroyani (new)

Midgettroyani I wasn't too impressed until I read that it would keep the expectant mother warm. That made me laugh. But I still like the other funny better.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Kenyon I have to agree with Chantel completely on the good-for-nothingness of this book as a mother of two; both natural, minimally assisted births, i found it unhelpful and offensive. i also became way more anxious if i let myself read a full chapter or so due to the focus on "what could go wrong" for each month! i did get into it for the medical description of what was going on with the fetus at each month, but other more positive and empowering books on pregnancy have that too. such as the sheila kitzinger (sp?) book Chantel recommended instead. i found that one here at a flea market in dutch and still really liked it and found it helpful when i was pregnant for the second time.

Jennifer I agree. I thought it dumbed down a lot of the information and tried to be way too cutesy.