Jen's Reviews > Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal

Perfection by Julie Metz

Oct 09, 11

bookshelves: memoirs, non-fiction
Read in October, 2011

This book feels a lot like nonfiction. The characters (Julie's friends) are well-developed and the plot twists (Julie's life) are incredible. I can't imagine the pain this woman went through, and am so amazed at her bravery -- how she confronted such a difficult situation head-on without apology. Some may think it was a risky move, writing such a book when you've got a young daughter who will learn all the ugliness of her parents' relationship. But I for one feel there's nothing wrong with truth. Her father was who he was. He did what he did. It's not up to Julie to make Henry into someone he was not. Henry made the choices he made knowing full well he had a daughter and wife at home. He was the one who should have protected Liza; not Julie. So ... bravo!

I cried as I read parts of this book. I've been thinking about it since I turned the last page. She's quotable. She's funny. She's memorable. I would love to have coffee with Julie Metz and just talk, but not about her book or her horrible experience after Henry's death. I'd just like to sit and talk with her and laugh and drink coffee.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfection.