PhobicPrerogative's Reviews > Shopaholic Takes Manhattan

Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella

Oct 09, 2011

it was ok

Off the bat, I'm yet to warm up to Rebecca Bloomwood.

I didn't connect with her in Shopaholic, or in Shopaholic & Sister (I read it before Manhattan).

You would think that with the second book, Rebecca has at least grown some or gained depth. Instead, she's the same Becky we met in Shopaholic: a pathological liar, a trait that makes her look insecure rather than someone to be pitied

She's still dumb, daft, dense, shallow, whiny and a hypocrite who dishes out what she can't take.

Rebecca is also SO aggravating, infuriating and unlikeable that at page 120, I needed time off from her just so she doesn't rub off on me and then I'm tempted to kick her around. Which, unfortunately, is impossible.

It just makes me so furious that after everything in book one, she's still digging herself into a financial hole out of her inability to use common sense - wasn't she bankrupt in book one? Why the hell do you buy your friend cushions when you're receiving letters from banks about overdue payments?!!

There's a sick and deep need in this GIRL to be accepted by someone or something, and it's leading her to act completely immature that it's not at all endearing. If Sophie Kinsella was addressing the dangers of living beyond your means, congratulations to her! I got the message.

Rebecca doesn't deserve to have a job or live in a posh (or close to) flat. Or even be allowed to have credit card extensions or whatever. What is that teaching people? That you can dick around with money but still be able to be GIVEN money by a financial institution to afford a £50 hat?

Sophie should've bankrupt this silly child completely such that she'd be trying to dig herself out of the financial mess for years on end, just to teach her a friggin' lesson that she would never forget. That would have been real enough.

I have an urge to burn this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shopaholic Takes Manhattan.

04/19/2016 marked as: read