Kai's Reviews > The Pledge

U 50x66
Oct 12, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from October 09 to 11, 2011

The Pledge is a great start to a short series. The Preface gives the reader the insight of who the adversary is. All the characters in the book are very well developed. I love the characters Charlaina (Charlie) and Max.

Enter into a country of Ludania where everyone is divided into class by the language that they speak and where no one have the freedom to move up in the world. The lowest class spoke only one language. The higher the class rankings are, the more languages, one would speaks. Charlie's talent enabled her to understand all the languages of the different classes. She cannot react to what is being said when the higher classes speak their own languages. She cannot answer back. To do so, would expose her and might have her executed or even place her families at risk.

Max discovered Charlie's talent. The only question is would he protect or betray her? Max also have his own secret as well.

Both are drawn together in a war between countries and a revolution war within Ludania to change the system of the country. Will Ludania falls to the countries that they are at war with or will the revolution war conducted by the resistance destroyed it?

After reading the book, I found myself skimming through the book several times. I do have to admit, if the book does not have a series, I hope it will have a sequel. There are some questions left to be resolved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pledge.