iamjenai's Reviews > El Filibusterismo

El Filibusterismo by José Rizal

Oct 09, 11

Read in September, 2011

El Filibusterismo (The Subversive) is the sequel to Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not) written by Jose Rizal, the national hero of the Philippines. Rizal dedicated this book to the three martyr priests Don Mariano Gomez, Jose Burgos, Don Jacinto Zamora who were executed by Spaniards on charges of subversion in 1872.

I first read this book (along with the first one Noli Me Tangere) as a requirement in my high school classes, of course the stories were written in Filipino. Fourteen years later, I was given another chance to read El Filibusterismo in English version (originally written in Spanish), provided by it's publisher, Penguin Classics. I realized it was a boring story then maybe because it was taught in school, never read it with much enthusiasm but now I found it an interesting story of revenge. I can only imagine Rizal's situation when this book circulated in the Philippines. I am not an expert of Rizal's work and the Philippines history but I think this was one of the many reasons why he was executed by the Spaniards. I enjoyed reading this book so much and would like to recommend this to readers of classic books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read El Filibusterismo.