Carolyn's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Oct 30, 11

bookshelves: apocalyptical, domesticity, fiction, science-fiction, ya, wide-reading-for-ci-546, diary
Read from October 24 to 28, 2011

wide reading for CI 546

grade level: late middle to high school.

genre: science fiction

themes: natural disaster, apocalypse, survival, family, friendship.

school use: I might use this book in either a language arts curriculum or as extracurricular reading in a science curriculum where we had studied the orbits of sun/moon/earth and their effects on each other.

review: The beginning of this book seemed to move very slowly and it wasn't until at least halfway through that I found myself really connecting with the characters. The book is based on a really intriguing and creative concept and it was an interesting choice to tell such a HUGE story in such a small way. Seeing things only through Miranda's eyes keeps the reader as confused and out of the loop as the heroine. Reading this on the 5:30 a.m. bus in the dark had me feeling very isolated!! I connected a lot more with the second half of the book but I was surprised to see by the sneak peek at the end that book 2 concerns an entirely different cast of characters.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.

10/26/2011 page 80

message 1: by S.J. (new) - added it

S.J. Pajonas Carolyn, I love your reviews :) What are you studying in school?

Carolyn aw thanks

these 'wide reading' reviews were specifically for a Children's & YA Lit class I took as an elective this semester while student teaching.

I just finished my second Master's, this time in Elementary Education. Now to find a job, ugh.