Andrea's Reviews > Now We Are Six

Now We Are Six by A.A. Milne

Oct 09, 11

bookshelves: poetry
Read in October, 2011

This book was so cute! At first I was disappointed that Pooh and his friends weren't the main characters, however, I was happy to see that, as A. A. Milne says in his forward, " (Pooh) walked through (the book) one day, looking for his friend Piglet, and sat down on some of the pages by mistake." Pooh's appearance in several poems was a pleasant surprise; however I did enjoy several of Milne's other poems that included other characters. This collection of poems was very fun to read, and I think children would enjoy reading or being read aloud this work.

Milne's use of rhythm was exceptional; each poem had me nodding my head to the beat he created. Each poem had a different cadence, which helped to make the poems separate works, and didn't create monotony within the collection. Milne also successfully used rhyme, although some of the words he chose were a bit outdated. I don't think these few select words would reduce the interest level from current-day readers. Several of the poems such as "A Thought" and "Twice Times" use humor to engage the reader. His use of illustration is minimal, although each page has some type of sketch or drawing. In his poems "Forgiven" and "Cherry Stones", Milne uses these drawings to influence the form. "Forgiven" shows his words crawling off the page at the same time the beetle in the poem is running away. This clever use of form helps engage the reader.

I loved reading this collection, and would recommend it to anybody who is still a child at heart!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Now We Are Six.