lalakary's Reviews > Pretties

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Oct 12, 11

Read from October 11 to 12, 2011

omg...i cant belaive tally is one of them that tottally bogus... and shay i feel bad 4 her!!!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretties.

Quotes lalakary Liked

Scott Westerfeld
“And over all those sleepy weeks, the dream always ended the same way, with the dragon coming for the princess saying the same words every time....
"Face it, Tally-wa, you're Special.”

Scott Westerfeld
“Everyone in the world was programmed by the place they were born, hemmed in by their beliefs, but you had to at least try to grow your own brain.”

Scott Westerfeld
“With everything so perfect, reality seemed somehow fragile, as if the slightest interruption could imperil her pretty future... all of it felt as tenuous as a soap bubble, shivering and empty.”

Scott Westerfeld
“Being pretty-minded is simply the natural state for most people. They want to be vapid and lazy and vain . . . and selfish. It only takes a twist to lock in that part of their personalities.”

Scott Westerfeld
“Nature was tough, it could be dangerous, but unlike Dr. Cable or shay, or peris-unlike people in general-it made sense. The problems it threw at you could be solved rationally.”

Scott Westerfeld
“It's not the way Zane looks, David," she said, her voice trembling with anger. "It's because he makes me bubbly, and because we took a lot of risks together. It could just as easily be me lying there, and he would stay with me if it was."
"It's just programming!"
"No. It's because I love him.”

Scott Westerfeld
“And the worst thing was, there were no mirrors out there in the wild, so the princess was left wondering whether she in fact was still beautiful... or if the fall had changed the story completely.”

Scott Westerfeld
“Sometimes it felt like her life was a series of falls from ever-greater heights.”

Scott Westerfeld
“At least one thing was consistent about her life: It just kept on getting more complicated.”
tags: life

Scott Westerfeld
“So, there was this beautiful princess.
She was locked in a high tower(...)She was stuck up there(...)So the only thing was to jump.”

Scott Westerfeld
“My name is tally youngblood and my mind is very ugly”

Scott Westerfeld
“Left alone, human beings are a plague. They multiply relentlessly, consuming every resource, destroying everything they touch.”

“It's just programming"
"No. It's because I love him”

Scott Westerfeld
“...humanity is a disease, a cancer on the body of the world.”

Scott Westerfeld
“Maybe she still was a pretty-head, making up irrational stories about the empty forest. The longer she stayed alone out here, the more Tally understood why the Rusties and their predecessors had believed in invisible beings, praying to placate spirits as they trashed the natural world around them.”

Scott Westerfeld
“She couldn't disappoint the whole village. There were no wallscreens here, no newsfeeds or satellites bands, and touring soccer teams were no doubt few and far between. (...), that made stories a valuable commodity, and it probably wasn't very often that a stranger dropped in from the sky.”

Scott Westerfeld
“She needed Andrew Simpson Smith, it was that simple. And he had spent his life training to help people like her. Gods.
"Okay, Andrew. But let's leave today. I'm in a hurry."
"Of course. Today." He stroked the place where his slight beard was beginning to grow. "These ruins where your friends are waiting? Where are they?"
Tally glances up at the sun, still low enough to indicate the eastern horizon. After a moment's calculation, she pointed off to the northwest, back toward the city and beyond that, the Rusty Ruins. "About a week's walk that way."
"A week?"
"That means seven days."
"Yes, I know the gods' calendar," he said huffily. "But a whole week?"
"Yeah. That's not so far, is it?" The hunters had been tireless on their march the night before.
He shook his head, an awed expression on his face. "But that is beyond the edge of the world.”

10/11/2011 page 50