Chris's Reviews > The Map of Time

The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma

Oct 09, 11

bookshelves: london, lit-fiction-spain-portugal, fantasy-steampunk, favorites, sci-fi-time-travel
Read from October 05 to 08, 2011

This was one of those books this year that I took a risk on. The plot blurb was intersting, if a bit sounding like a David Warner/Macolm McDowell movie, but the cover art was great and it's set in London.

Wow. Wait, I mean . . .

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

This book starts as a simple time travel story with all those paradoxes that make my head hurt. But it is so much more than that. It's about the creative process, it's about writing. It's all summed up in the last chapter of the novel, and the great thing, the best thing, is that the journey there is worth it. It fits so well.

This exploration is like taking science fiction, Terry Pratchett, steampunk, and the Victorian novel in all its forms and putting them into a blender. What comes out is like the best chocolate shake in the world (change to the ice cream or malted of your choice. If you prefer an egg cream that's fine too, just could you explain what extactly that is?).

Palma takes the story of H. G. Wells and mixes it with Jack the Ripper and Terminator. He is hardly the first to do so, yet he uses the combination in way that no one else has. Wells finds himself adding would be travelers in time and fighting againist a dire plot against literature.

Another aspect of the novel is the use of narrative voice, an all seeing talker who connects to the reader, who ferries the reader around the story as time ferris us all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map of Time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review.. I've just finished reading this after reading ssecond part of thrilogy(check coming soon to USA, in Spain it was published 2 months ago). I'm specially glad to know I was not the only one who thought of "Terminator" while reading it!

message 2: by Jeannette (new) - added it

Jeannette I just recommended that movie, Time After Time, to someone, and she recommended this book! I just love these types of coincidence. And, it looks like I added it a year ago and forgot about it!