Hannah (Jaedia)'s Reviews > Miracle on Regent Street

Miracle on Regent Street by Ali Harris

Dec 08, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit, fiction, received-for-review, adult, christmas, favourites
Read from December 02 to 08, 2011

From the gorgeously elegant cover art to the utterly cheerful atmosphere of the entire novel, Miracle on Regent Street is a book that I will definitely be rereading and recommending for years to come and it has got me into the Christmas spirit more than any tinsel or music ever could without needing to vomit Christmas. The entire novel is split into chapters and then days as it counts down the time Hardy's has until store closure and the time Evie has to secretly transform the store and hopefully draw in enough customers to vastly increase profit takings in that time.

It is written in the present tense which usually throws me off for a little while when I first pick up a novel but not this time. The beauty of Ali's gorgeous descriptive imagery drew me in so quickly that I didn't even notice the tense. If anything, it added more to the novel as you feel just as if you are there watching over Evie's shoulder. "It feels as if I have been magically transported back in time as I cycle into Portland Place. No vehicles are on the streets and I can't help but imagine them when they were cobbled and filled with horses and carriages." Evie herself is quite the dreamer and the descriptive passages reflect greatly on this as she imagines how things could be and might have been, and the writing style is just so warm and delightful, the only thing that was missing was a big mug of hot chocolate. I read most of this book with a smile on my face and when I wasn't smiling I was either frowning at a nasty character or trying to ignore the tears in my eyes when the big emotional scenes happened near the end. Miracle on Regent Street is a book that just makes me happy and it's extremely hard to put down. Seriously, if this book isn't made into a movie one day I will be sorely disappointed!

But the thing that really made the novel for me was the amazingly diverse characters. Evie, for starters, is such a kind-hearted individual who just wants to be noticed. She's let herself fall into obscurity and nobody she works with on the shop floor even knows her real name. However, underneath her mask of plain, invisibility she has this creative flair and very chic retro style that is so perfect for her task at Hardy's to secretly transform the store into a great place to shop once more. She is just so easy to love with all of her self-doubt, I think we've all been there at some point. It does bother me, however, when characters overhear part of a conversation, jump to conclusions and run off crying without even attempting to confront anybody about what they have heard. Evie does this a lot and I just wished she would go to the person and say, "Excuse me, are you doing x?" Because then they could have chance to explain themselves! Perhaps it's just me. The drama as a result does bring about a gripping story after all. As for everybody else, every single character is so different from the next with different looks, styles and personalities that you really believe they could exist, and alongside all of the Christmas cheer there is also the bitter drama of real life from all angles. It's very real and I like that, but it is by all means a highly animated story.

I knew I would love this book before I even started it because it just sounds so wonderful, doesn't it? As such I have already recommended it to several people and I will continue to do so but now with more knowledge of just how wonderful it is. With all of its' cheer and sparkle, Miracle on Regent Street is a fantastic book to beat the Winter blues and I can't praise it enough. I love it!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle on Regent Street.

12/03/2011 page 15
3.0% "15 pages in and already loving it. Great imagery and descriptive scenes and the main character has so much cheer :)"
12/06/2011 page 147
30.0% "Hopefully put in a few hours of reading time today, really loving this and would like to get it reviewed asap."
12/07/2011 page 327
68.0% "Hard to put downnn. Loving it!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa ( Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf) I need to put this on my wish list...though it's probably too late for this year!

Hannah (Jaedia) Not at all! It's only £3.86 on Amazon last time I checked and well worth reading! :)