Monica Edinger's Reviews > Trapped

Trapped by Marc Aronson

221952
Oct 09, 11

While I completely appreciate all the positives others have voiced about this book, there's something missing in it for me. That is, I'd have liked more from and about the miners themselves. They are all listed at the end by name and age and a few are featured within the text, but they simply don't come alive as much as their rescue and seem, in fact, a bit buried in this story. To some degree that is understandable give the book's subtitle, "How the World Rescued 33 Miners from 2,000 Feet below the Chilean Desert," but I would have liked somehow for them to come out more strongly in the book than they do. Some of the distancing is, I suspect, a result of Aronson's having to rely on secondary sources when writing about the miners whereas for the rescue effort he interviewed some of the key players, such Jeff Hart and Brandon Fisher, and the tone is different when he writes about their experiences. No doubt it is also because there is indeed a lot to say about the rescue effort, but I still would have liked young readers to come away with a better sense of the miners themselves as agents of their own rescue along with all the others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trapped.