Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > Aftermath

Aftermath by Ann Aguirre

Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: science-and-space-and-crap, the-fantasy-of-urbans, d-oh, dat-cover-goddammit, i-am-stalking-you, reviewed-2011, a-bit-of-mush, i-am-disappoint, just-kill-it-already, could-have-been-sooo-much-better, forever-alone
Recommended for: fans of the series or something
Read from November 10 to 20, 2011, read count: 1

First of all I have to say that I’m never reading a book like this. 10 days - what the hell? And postponing it made me forget certain things/ thoughts so eventually I ended up giving it the neutral score: three.

I’m not sure if the book was good for you guys but it was strange for me. Whenever I’d start reading Aftermath something would happen. Vampires Suck playing on HBO, my PC needing to be formatted or moving to another freakin’ country (true story)! So of course I had to postpone reading in order to fix these things. Just like moths to a flame…

The start caught up with the wonderful decision of Jax leaving everything behind. Again. I still don’t see the reason why she did that. Can someone please enlighten me? (Answer: “To carry word of the shift in grimspace, so she could save as many lives as possible.” – meh!) I see this whole matter as Jax complicating everything (as usual). I really used to like this chick but the last two books ruined it for me. She’s getting more and more annoying. But anyway, I think she deserves everything that’s coming her way since she asked for it. Too bad I’m not so interested in this anymore. I think I lost my love for this series so waiting for the last book won’t be so difficult. And I’m not going to be excited about it, this I’m sure. I’ll read it, find out how it ends and celebrate.

Back to the point. Of course Jax will do something stupid at the end of the book. It’s a habit now… Wait… *getting to the final chapter* What did I tell you?
“How can love be so magnificent and still hurt this much?”
“I don’t know. Over the turns, I’ve asked myself the same thing.”

Because you’re all stupid, that’s why. Sacrifice in the name of love? You’re doing it wrong!
“Jax … you know how I said … before your trial—that I’d be there waiting? I always will be. Five turns. Ten. Twenty. There’s no one else for me. I live in hope that there will come a time when you’ll need no more wandering, and you’ll come home to me.”

And yet she had the balls to leave him. Now I don’t know if she’s that strong or that stupid.

March was no good either. First his decision to go nephew hunting, then settling down (which probably came one book too early for Jax) and then declaring his eternal love to a woman who always dumps him. WTF?! You’re cool about it March? You’ll waste all your life waiting for someone who will never settle down with you?

What I liked the most about the book? Vel. Yes, he’s still my favorite. His story with Adele was touching and his loyalty to Jax is worthy of some respect. I say some because of not liking the puppy eyed pansy he’s becoming around Jax. I hope they won’t ruin him in Endgame

P.S. (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aftermath.

11/10/2011
6.0% "Not so excited about this but I'm still giving it a try"
11/14/2011
76.0% "I'm reading this too slow. Kinda ruined the book for me..." 12 comments
11/20/2011
100.0% "RCS"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aly is so frigging bored Love your review :D And the bug picture is AMAZING!

Anzu The Great Destroyer :))) I've been keeping that one for a looong time :D Never knew what I could use it for.... Now I know muahahahahahaha :p

Aly is so frigging bored I saved it :D Can I use it in a review? ;;)

Anzu The Great Destroyer Sure you can :>

Kellyflower I'm also afraid she's changed Vel's (also my favorite)character. I read a little excerpt from the last book on her website and Vel's dialogue seemed out of character for him. I Hated they lost so much time in this book. I think that's what I hated the most. It seemed a cop-out. Oh look we've just lost 5 yrs, Oh well let's move on.

Anzu The Great Destroyer She's changing everyone and I'm also not happy about it. I'm actually not excited about the last book :/ That sucks!

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 1 star

Kim i think jax is a selfish person i started scimming at the end because i couldnt wait to get through this book. I agree with your review and i dont think i'll be reading the last book.

Anzu The Great Destroyer She is.. I'll read the last one because I MUST KNOW how it ends!!!

Angela I agree with almost everything here. I spent a lot of this book so angry at Jax.

message 10: by Anzu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer This series had potential.. So much potential..