Elizabeth's Reviews > Frost

Frost by Wendy Delsol

Jun 16, 12

bookshelves: mythology, retelling, teen, novel
Read from May 24 to June 15, 2012

The premise of this story (Snow Queen!) was really fun, but I was disappointed with the outcome. The story (Katla and Jack in high school, the school musical, Kat's mom's troubled pregnancy, a new beautiful scientist coming to town, etc) dragged out for more than half of the book. Finally Katla and her grandfather go to Iceland and I hoped it would start paralleling the Snow Queen story, but then it starts bringing in plot developments for the next book, Flock, involving selkies, etc. That's exciting it itself, but I was getting inpatient and started skimming. Then the climax came, near the end of the book, and it went by really fast. It resolved almost too easily? Also, the author introduced Icelandic characters and terms without much explanation. I guess that's my fault for not knowing Norse myths as well (at least watching Thor, the movie, helped a bit). Oh, and another frustration was the small part Katla's stork abilities, which I enjoyed in the first book, featured in this story. It was almost an afterthought. Well, overall it wasn't a horrible story and I'm still interested in reading the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frost.