The Lit Bitch's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

May 14, 12

liked it
Read from October 19 to November 05, 2011

It was amazing from a literary stand point and I loved that it was new, fresh, unique, and different but at the same time, it was also dark and sad. Just because it won the Pulitzer Prize (which it totally deserved by the way) doesn't mean that I had to LOVE it. See my full review here

Quotes The Lit Bitch Liked

Jennifer Egan
“Like all failed experiments, that one taught me something I didn’t expect: one key ingredient of so-called experience is the delusional faith that it is unique and special, that those included in it are privileged and those excluded from it are missing out.”

Jennifer Egan
“We stand there, quiet. My questions all seem wrong: How did you get so old? Was it all at once, in a day, or did you peter out bit by bit? When did you stop having parties? Did everyone else get old too, or was it just you? Are other people still here, hiding in the palm trees or holding their breath underwater? When did you last swim your laps? Do your bones hurt? Did you know this was coming and hide that you knew, or did it ambush you from behind?”

Jennifer Egan
“Sure, everything is ending," Jules said, "but not yet.”

Jennifer Egan
“I'm always happy," Sasha said. "Sometimes I just forget.”

Jennifer Egan
“Structural dissatisfaction: Returning to circumstances that once pleased you, after having experienced a more thrilling or opulent way of life, and finding that you can no longer tolerate them.”

Jennifer Egan
“I can't tell if she's actually real, or if she's stopped caring if she's real or not. Or is not caring what makes a person real?”

Jennifer Egan
“and the question is, which one is really “you,”

Jennifer Egan
“Everyone we've lost, we'll find. Or they'll find us.”

11/04/2011 page 130