Dee's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Could there possibly be anyone more perfect for the role of Tyrion Lannister than actor Peter Dinklage? Answer: negative. The man is born for the part. In much the same way that Martin Freeman was born to play Bilbo Baggins. A no-brainer. I had no idea that A Game of Thrones was recently adapted into an HBO television series when I started reading, yet I could only ever picture Peter Dinklage. So of course I wasn't surprised to see this IMDB image:

Perfect, perfect perfect. And of course, Sean Bean as Edward Stark is a bit of a no-brainer as well. Isn't he always brandishing a sword & Medieval garb in film and television adaptations? I have yet to watch the series but I'm now itching to.

I loved this book.

I love how different it is from a lot of the high fantasy that I've read: low on magic, high on political intrigue (hence the title). Plotting, subterfuge and a million characters all interweaving and clashing. I am never usually one for stories with endless characters and view point switching but this book couldn't have been written any other way and the method certainly allows for a sense of slow building suspense.

And it is the perfect case study for how to write fantasy without bombarding the reader with exposition. In no place does George Martin step back and awkwardly recite backstory, yet his 'world' is incredibly thorough and complex. Clever. More writers need to take to this book with a highlighter pen.

I am a little bit daunted at the prospect of a seven book series (and counting), yet heartened by the fact that many of my Goodreads friends are still reading and still loving. I doubt I'll sit down and devour them back-to-back (this one took long enough in itself) but I will definitely piece my way through over the next year or so and hope that they continue to grab me.

For everything else that I could say see this review. (She says it all and better.)

I just love that contented yet itchingly excited feeling I get when an author hits all the right buttons in the opening of a series... *Happy dance.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.