Kristi-The Book Faery's Reviews > Faery Tales & Nightmares

Faery Tales & Nightmares by Melissa Marr

THE FAERYS VIEW

Melissa Marr is one of my favorite authors, of course me loving all things Fae has nothing to do with it but The Wicked Lovely Series will forever be one of my favorite series so I had to give Faery Tales and Nightmares a try even though short story compilations aren’t really my thing. In Ms. Marr’s case, she made reading short stories so pleasurable that I’m hoping against hope that she’ll do it again!

Faery Tales and Nightmares is compiled of twelve short stories, most of them revolving around characters in Ms. Marr’s most wickedly awesome Wicked Lovely series but not all of them. There are some fabulous stories that delivered deliciously dark and decadent reading-in true Melissa Marr style. Ms. Marr’s creative imagination knows no bounds and I’m forever in awe of her ability to draw me into a story to the point where I’m right there with the characters-in living color! Very few authors are as accomplished as Ms. Marr: her characters are well fleshed out, beautifully portrayed and step off the page realistic. Every story is vivid with exquisite detail and carried me along on a tide of pure happiness from start to finish. Every ending was absolutely perfect for each story which left me with an extremely satisfied feeling!

My favorite non-Wicked Lovely Stories:

Transition: a vampiric pleasure that I truly loved! A young girl get’s the last laugh in this creepy yet clever tale.
Love Struck was fantastic! A tale about two Selchie [Selkie] brothers and an unwitting girl on a beach. It had a great story based on Selchie lore and a beautiful love story but… what love story ever goes off without a BIG hitch?

My Favorite Wicked Lovely stories were:

Unexpected Family: This takes place AFTER Darkest Mercy when Seth receives a letter from his parents who are on vacation. They rarely contact Seth and they are in trouble, Seth takes Niall with him and what happens when they reach Seth’s parents is not exactly what they were expecting.

Cotton Candy Skies: Rabbit, sweet Rabbit is in Faery and although he has everything he could possibly want at his disposal, he’s lonely and grieving the loss of Tish. Then he meets Olivia, remember her? She’s the artist that paints with the sky and completely anti-social, that is until she meets Rabbit. Will Rabbit finally have a life and love of his own?

I truly loved Faery Tales and Nightmares and I can’t say there was one story in there that I didn’t like, I loved them all but to review them all would take me pages so I plucked out some favorites!

THE FAERY SAYS FAERY TALES AND NIGHTMARES SET MY WINGS A’FLUTTER!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faery Tales & Nightmares.