David Edmonds's Reviews > The Last Werewolf

The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: own, paranormal, fiction, werewolves, read-2012
Read from June 03 to July 04, 2012

Words commonly used to describe The Last Werewolf: "sexy", "quirky", "brilliant", "glorious", "witty,"... the list goes on and on, and I'm left wondering if I actually read the same book as everyone else. There wasn't one thing that I found in the book that made me think this was something even remotely warranted the kind of praise listed above.

Jake is the last werewolf alive, and after nearly 200 years of living, and knowing he is now the last of his kind, he's ready to die. He is being hunted by an organization that wants to see him dead, and he's ready to let them have their way. The ennui in this book practically drips off the page, and I actually found myself wishing he'd just commit suicide and save everybody, me included, the trouble of having to finish the story. The first part of the book was absolutely tedious reading, but I stuck with it, thinking there was something that was going to grab me and pull me in, since so many people are just batshit over this book.

Unfortunately, it wasn't until the last 1/3 of the book that anything picks up, and by that point, I just didn't give a shit what happened to Jake anymore. I found the ending fairly predictable and nothing shocked me about it.

Needless to say, I don't know that I'll be picking anything by Glen Duncan up any time soon. I'm giving the book 2 stars, only because if the first 2/3 of the book were written like the last 1/3, I think I may have enjoyed it more. Maybe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Werewolf.

06/03/2012 page 1
06/28/2012 page 103
35.0% "So... slow... I'm really hoping the rest of this book doesn't drag as much as the first 1/3 has."
07/01/2012 page 186
63.0% "Really tedious reading, but at least I think the story is going somewhere now."
07/04/2012 page 203
69.0% "FINALLY, I feel like this story is going somewhere."
07/04/2012 page 293
100.0% "Last 1/3 finally picked up but I still just can't see what all the buzz about this book is."