Melissa's Reviews > In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

Oct 10, 11

bookshelves: read-nonfiction
Read from October 08 to 09, 2011

The way history is meant to be told. This book follows William Dodd an American ambassador to Hilter's Germany and family. The book is seen through William and Martha, his daughter's eyes. This is nonfiction and has almost 100 pages of footnotes in the back. This is amazing book about how the outside world and even some people on the inside of Germany didn't think Hitler was going to be a problem. I was hesitant to read this book because I didn't want to read another book that delved into this dark time in history but instead of feeling depressed and overwhelmed by the stains of humanity but I feel enlightened to know how the world ignored or misread the flashing warning signs. Everyone who every asked how Germany could do what it did in the 1930s unnoticed this is the book for you. I cannot recommend this history book enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Garden of Beasts.