Al Gritten's Reviews > Wolf's-head, Rogues of Bindar Book I

Wolf's-head, Rogues of Bindar Book I by Chris  Turner

Oct 08, 2011

did not like it
Read from October 08 to 25, 2011

Early in the book, one of the characters proclaims to another, "“An eloquent remark for one so vulgarly inebriated." Indeed, the tale is plagued by eloquence - in fact it is an eloquence that is seemingly out of place among such a plebeian, common-placed folk. The author has a vast command of vocabulary, but while his language skills are impressive they are out of place among the commoners that occupy the wharf town of Heagram. I admire the writer's command of vocabulary, or thesaurus, but they interfere with the story and perhaps the best development of the characters. As I began the book, I thought that perhaps it was his intention convey a sense of the archaic, but if so, he has perhaps gone too far. The language overpowers the characters. It also overpowers what plot there is - which is thin. I was fully three-quarters of the way through the book before the plot made any sense at all, and then it was weak. Between his use of language and the length of time it took to develop his plot, I found the book tedious to read and struggled to get through it. I would like to give the author the benefit of the doubt, but found very little in this book to regard or recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf's-head, Rogues of Bindar Book I.