Matt's Reviews > Fuse

Fuse by Marc McKee

M 50x66
Oct 08, 2011

Read in October, 2011

A really delightful read, as McKee takes some techniques that I usually enjoy (the ecstatic lyric, I'd call it, and hope you know what I mean) and turns them to some slightly unusual subject matter.

Marc's poems do have that kind of leaping energy that Bly talks about and that you find in writers like Matt Hart, for example, or maybe a Cate Marvin, so that there are strange emotional undercurrents here, striking shifts of image, focus, perspective and syntax. But where poems that employ lyric in this way tend to follow just one, however glorious path, like a guitar solo at an Explosions in the Sky concert, Marc's use of this form is more.... probing? analytical? investigative? I'm not sure exactly how it works, but these poems are propelled by that energy of the lyric into tackling bigger questions-- what about the way our society is ordered, is it really just, or the best we can do? where is history taking us, anyhow?

For me, these poems are a really mystical marriage, of emotional enthusiasm but also serious intellect. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fuse.