Karla's Reviews > Fingersmith

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Dec 31, 14

bookshelves: 2011, crime, english, man-booker-prize, thriller, gothic, favorites, same-sex-romance
Read from October 08 to 20, 2011

I think I just read the most bold, gripping, meaty and ominous novel that has ever slithered it's way into my hands! The twist and turns baffled me and had me blushing at some points. The noble orphans Sue and Maud were such compelling well developed characters, and as I discovered nether were like they seem to the other. They were put through the most wicked torment and betrayals I have come across in modern literature. Skillfully written with a devious escapade a foot, that raised my blood pressure and beckoned me into a zone of confinement so I could be left alone to finish the last 200 pages undisturbed. Polished historical fiction in it's finest!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fingersmith.

Quotes Karla Liked

Sarah Waters
“We have a name for your disease. We call it a hyper-aesthetic one. You have been encouraged to over-indulge yourself in literature; and have inflamed your organs of fancy.”
Sarah Waters, Fingersmith

10/08/2011 page 32
6.0% "Ain't it terribly wicked, Gentleman, what you mean to do? Wicked? he said.'Why bless you, Dainty, of course it's wicked! But it's wicked to the tune of fifteen thousand pounds-and oh! But that's a sweet tune, hum it how you will."
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Zulfiya It is a very inspiring review, and it is also an accurate description of the novel and a tribute to this well-researched and twisty novel.

Karla Thank you, this is one of those perfectly writen pieces of literary rides I have come across. Loved the twists and the surprising romance was shocking but seemed authentic.

Holly Weiss Love your review, Karla, written in the sytle of the book!

Karla Aw... Thank you Holly! I did really find this novel exciting and a gripping read.

message 1: by Satia (new)

Satia I picked this up at the library book sale (along with other novels by the author) and plan on reading them all in 2015. I loved Tipping the Velvet so I have a lot of confidence in Waters.