Miss Wednesday's Reviews > East of Eden

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

I really can't say how glad I am I finally got through this book. I almost couldn't believe I'd done it. I absolutely loved "Grapes of Wrath" and was sure that "East of Eden" would pull me in just as much but that wasn't the case. I really jsut didn't find my way into this book. I could see that the writing was brilliant and the portrayal of California was simply beautiful. Still it felt like there just wasn't any character or story line I really wanted to come back to.
Still I msut say that I feel I learned a lot about people and about myself by reading this. Steinbeck certainly has the talent to portray extremely realistic characters and lets their experiences ring absolutely true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East of Eden.

07/15 page 70
12.0% "I seem to need some time to get into the story. In "Grapes of Wrath" Tom Joad fascinated me from the first page, but this time I haven't really related to anyone yet."
05/12 page 350
58.0% "Too many different plot-lines for me. I can't really sympathize with any of the characers, because the story too often moves away from them. It's an excellent narration with wonderful description of the Salinas Valley, but it's not my up of tea."
08/23 "500"