A.'s Reviews > Never-Ending Birds: Poems

M 50x66
Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: poetry
Read from October 08 to 11, 2011

The title poem is one of the saddest most beautiful poems I have ever read. We read this for our monthly Living Poets Society get together at the Boulder Book Store and when that poem was read out loud, it brought tears to my eyes. It's quoted beneath the description of the book. It's one of the few that gets at what seems to be the emotional driver of the book. His divorce and the fear that he is losing the connection with his daughter.

What I love about that work (it's emotional honesty, simplicity, language and evocation of nature) is present in fits and starts in the rest of the book. Too many of the poems veer off into obscure references and notes. Some of the poems are hard to even comprehend without checking the notes and then bam you come up against the title poem or Bay (about a horse being castrated)and the beauty and pure force knocks you over.

I wish Baker would speak in his own voice more often. Evoking long-dead figures seems more like a parlor trick for this poet than mining the rich emotional material that is at his disposal. That said many of the poems do illuminate themes and echo ideas that resonate throughout the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never-Ending Birds.

message 1: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian Miller i agree that the title poem really has force and feels like there are no extra words, the sound is great too. I also liked ditches from the poor. pg 34