Christine's Reviews > A Night Like This

A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

Sep 24, 12

bookshelves: adult, own-it
Read in June, 2012

A Night Like This is the second book in the Quartet and incredibly cute and witty, as is Julia Quinn’s style.

After three years away from Britain, Daniel Smythe-Smith returns on the night of the fateful Smythe-Smith musicale, which takes place every year to everyone’s sad disappointment, and meets Anne Wynter. The idea of an Earl and governess is a bit overdone in historical romance, but Julia Quinn manages to put her own spin on it. And as always, her characters are infused with their own brand of wit and cuteness and chemistry that make her books so very enjoyable to read.

The girls Anne was in charge of added some fun moments to the story, since they were the excuse Daniel uses to spend time with Anne. And both their backstories come into play and add depth to the overall plot, which lead to a rather dramatic ending. Maybe too dramatic for some, but I was willing to go with it.

The person I wasn’t expecting to like was Hugh, yet another Earl. (Seriously, how many Earls were there in London? Because there seem to be a plethora in historical romances.) I really, really want him to be a leading character in one of the next books in this series.

With two books left, it’s safe to say they’re going to revolve around Sarah and Iris, the other two Smythe-Smiths in the first Quartet Musicale. Every time I read one of these books, I want to then read the entire Bridgerton series again. Or at least the ones that cover these musicales, which are Colin’s and Hyacinth’s books.

Overall, if it’s by Julia Quinn, I recommend it. So, go forth and read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Night Like This.