Kathy Davie's Reviews > The Body in the Gazebo

4222001
Oct 08, 11

bookshelves: mystery, history, homey
Read in September, 2011

Nineteenth in the Faith Fairchild culinary-religious mystery series. This one challenges Tom and also takes us back to the 1920s of Ursula's teens.

The Story
Ursula is getting nasty letters that hearken back to her teens when her brother, Theo, was murdered. A new parishioner with the heart of a Scrooge has gotten very active with the church and has coerced an independent audit of the Church's books. It appears that Tom has embezzled $10,000 of church funds.

On a positive note, Pix is panicking over having to spend several weeks bonding with the potential in-laws—Mark is getting married!

The Characters
It's rather nice to get some back history on Ursula, Pix's mother. Proves up what a truly decent woman she is as are her parents! Pretty rare to encounter parents willing to buck the status quo.

Tom also comes in for some nastiness that proves how naively trusting he is with people. How sad that he can't even find Christians within his own church.

Niki Constantine is preggers! A fortunate event that is eclipsed by an unfortunate event. Zach Cummings makes an appearance to help Faith with some computer hacking insight as does a former church intern, Lily Sinclair. Mark, Pix and Sam's oldest child, is getting married! And it turns out that the new daughter-in-law's father is an old beau of Pix's.

My Take
Okay, the whole takedown scene at the end was pretty unreal. Not that I minded seeing the straits to which the bad guys were reduced…talk about justice at last! But it was just too easy a finish.

Zach gives a brief yet thorough précis of the number of ways computer hackers work while the Uppity Women's Luncheon Club whip it out for a friend in need.

I also think the embezzlers got off too light and I wanted to see some decent payback...dang it!

The Cover
The cover is more picnic than gazebo. I suspect they got stories mixed up since there are no picnics in The Body in the Gazebo although, I suppose, you could say that life for the Fairchilds and Ursula Rowe is not a picnic… As a title, it is accurate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body in the Gazebo.