Rose Hillbrand's Reviews > The Sex Lives of Cannibals

The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost

F_50x66
Oct 08, 11

Recommended to Rose by: Brad Creamer
Recommended for: People who like travel writing, and those with a good sense of humor.
Read from September 14 to October 04, 2011, read count: 1

Other than The Superiors (and you could not imagine a book more different), this was my favorite book club pick for this round. I think it might have been the funniest book I've ever read. I laughed so hard I almost cried a couple of times, and I don't think I've ever laughed out loud so many times while reading a book.

The story was interesting, and I really enjoyed the parts about the native customs, etc. The parts about all the trash in the country really reminded me of my trip to Nicaragua (though thankfully, without all the poop!!), and it made me sad that so much of the trash came from people trying to live like Americans (i.e. high consumption), even though they were so far removed. I just couldn't understand why they didn't try harder to keep their islands clean, though - you would think with so many people on such a small area of land, the focus would be all about conservation and such, but it didn't sound like there was much of that going on at all....

But I really loved the writing, which made even the parts where not much was happening seem entertaining. I think my favorite chapter was the one about the dogs - LOL! I guess I can see how dog meat would be tasty after nothing but poorly cooked fish for 2 years, but still...ewww...

I was glad that he and Sylvia didn't end up staying in the US after they came back, and now I want to read the next part of the journey - Getting Stoned With Savages - and find out how their next Pacific adventure turned out.

After reading this book, I have no desire to live in the South Pacific, or even ever to visit there. However, the literary journey was a lot of fun.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sex Lives of Cannibals.