Rane's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

1987431
Oct 21, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, urban-fantasy
Read from October 13 to 16, 2011

I'm not fond overly fond of YA books, the few I've read just never really reached me, that was thrown out the window with Daughter of Smoke and Bone.
Laini Taylor wrote at times a poetic story with a lead that is very much a teen, dealing with the at times rapid changes all teens go through in life, sometimes bitchy, selfish, heartbreaking going down the path to adulthood Karou goes through this and more, growing up in the little shop that deals out wishes for teeth, raised by chimera. She uses the magic of the shop to travel the world in order to gather all of these teeth. Karou goes through life between the world of chimera and her everyday life, the balance act she tries to live with topples when she runs across a fiery angel by the name of Akiva. All the blinders she's lived with is torn from her eyes, and in a short time her life is changed.

I really loved Karou, she wasn't overly emotional, but she did have her moments- which I think anyone whom remembers their teens years can understand perfectly. I loved that, as it was easy to step into her shoes and understand where she came from. There's alot of learning curve Karou deals with as her chimera family has kept her in the dark for good reason, and when everything comes out, it knocks in the wind out of the reader, but makes a sad beautiful sense.

The story also dealt with the issue of prejudice. Which was done wonderfully, because like the old saying You never know a man unless you walk in their shoes. When Karou meets Akiva this issue pops up, and Taylor does a great job of showing all sides of the issue without sugar coating it, but giving the reader a chance to see more then the black and white but the whole picture.

Laini Taylor shows what an amazing author by portraying the flip side of love and the instant-soup- love that's so pronounce in many YA books, that not everything is so rose-colored as they seem to be.

What truly capture me was the setting, the jewel-box Prague and it’s nooks and how LT gave feeling, depth to every place and person. Her description at times alone were just amazing

“Her other brother had shocked the family by going into the army, but Zuzana had puppets in the bllod and was carrying on the family tradition”

The ending was a suckerpunch in the gut, the feeling of dread has the reader guessing as to what will be reveled and is it a doozy! But yet leaves you wanting to see what would happen next!

The Daughter of Smoke and Bone made me a fan easy of Laini Taylor and renewed my faith in the YA genre!

10/13/2011 page 23
10/16/2011
100.0% "Oh! Sucker punch ending!...I loved it!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I've heard a lot of good things about this one, Rane.

Rane It's all true Danielle! I'm really hooked on this book ;D

message 3: by Marisa (new)

Marisa I've got this one on my TBR pile - I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this one.

Rane Marisa wrote: "I've got this one on my TBR pile - I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this one."

This is so good and the author has such a great way with words, really been surprised all around with this book

Dinjolina Will it being a series bother you?
Sometimes the cliffhangers are plain crude.

Rane Dinjolina wrote: "Will it being a series bother you?
Sometimes the cliffhangers are plain crude.
:)"

Cliffhangers can be cruel but if the book is good, it just makes your mouth water waiting for the next in the series ;P

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart Great review! Can you tell me (1) is it a cliffhanger ending? (2) Is it a happy ending? (3) How many are planned for the series?
Thanks.

Rane Jane wrote: "Great review! Can you tell me (1) is it a cliffhanger ending? (2) Is it a happy ending? (3) How many are planned for the series?
Thanks."

Thank you Jane!
Yes, it is a cliffhanger it's not a happy ending, but your given heavy hints it's not going down pretty, but it holds a great deal of hope that this is only the the start and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I read this series will be a trilogy and looking forward to see what the author has in store for the rest of the series :D

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart Thank you Rane :)

message 11: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna Nice review, Rane! I'm not a huge fan of YA either, but this sounds intriguing.

message 12: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Shawna wrote: "Nice review, Rane! I'm not a huge fan of YA either, but this sounds intriguing."

Thank you Shawna! This was very intriguing, the story at times was a little vague, but once the author gives you the whole story - I was shocked , but it all made strange sense and only makes you love the book more ;D

message 13: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia just read your review as this is on my TBR ... your review is really great. maybe the book will go a little bit more to the top now :-)

message 14: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Claudia wrote: "just read your review as this is on my TBR ... your review is really great. maybe the book will go a little bit more to the top now :-)"

I adore book 1 (book 2 was okay) but the gift was the storytelling that just made sense and poetic in nature

Ronyell Awesome review Rane!!