Wicked ♥ (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess's Reviews > Tattoo

Tattoo by Kirsten Imani Kasai

2082350
Reviewed for Wickedly Bookish Reviews

I need to clear something up in response to all the negative reviews.

This is not a book you can read without having read the first one! The world is intricate and fantastic just like any other deep fantasy book. The Ice Song books are also very dark and at times strange, but no less beautiful for these elements' existence. If that is not something you are into, and you are not a fan of deep fantasy then you probably won't like this book. So before you make a harsh 2 star or lower judgment on it, I suggest you take the time to read book 1, it is only fair to this amazing author's hard work.

With that out of the way,Tattoo is a beautiful follow up book. The characters and the morbidly beautiful world are just as wonderful and developed as you remember them. My only complaint is that the plot wasn't as well fleshed out as Ice Song. I felt like book one had a solid plot. We knew what the objective was and we were emotionally invested in the outcome. In book two, it is less clear what exactly is the objective. Soryk wants his own life free from his primary Sorykah who just wants to live a quiet life with her children.

Readers get a better understanding of some of the supporting characters like Sidra the Lovely and Dunya the dog-faced girl. We also get lessons in some of the more concrete mythology of the world. I found these aspects very enjoyable and a nice distraction from the uncertainty of the major plot line.

Overall, it is worth a read for those who have read the first book. Laying the groundwork for other prospective installments, Tattoo will continue your journey through this vividly strange world.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tattoo.

11/12/2011
50.0% "The depth of this world and its characters never ceases to astound me. I'm completely captivated by the morbidly beautiful strangeness of it all."
11/13/2011
85.0% "The plot is definitely not as well directed as the first book, but all the gorgeous detial almost makes up for it."
show 1 hidden update…