Katherine Marple's Reviews > Love You Hate You Miss You

2320505
Oct 08, 2011

liked it
Read in October, 2011

Amy moves through life with the knowledge that she killed her best friend Julia. She agonizes over it, sorts through her emotions, explodes her grief onto a select few people and goes about daily life noticing a world where Julia no longer exists.

It's a good storyline and the lesson learned is fantastic: Everyone makes their own choices and must deal with the consequences of each decision. The book itself, though, was just... I don't know... maybe too much in Amy's head. Or maybe too much about her obsession with drinking or not drinking. Or maybe too much of the same chapter using different words about how she's a "murderer" who "doesn't care" who "is sorry" who "wants to drink".

I enjoyed reading the story because I liked the characters. I liked Julia (her memory), Amy, Patrick, and even Corn Syrup. Beth was annoying, as was Mel, and even the chapters about Amy's parents.

I liked the characters, but I didn't love the character development or the story itself. I guess in the prose that it was written in, it needed MORE of a story to satisfy my reading itch. By the time the book ended, I felt as if we were just beginning to graze the surface.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love You Hate You Miss You.