Ugh's Reviews > The Spectacle of the Scaffold

The Spectacle of the Scaffold by Michel Foucault

U_50x66
Oct 08, 11

Read in October, 2011

Bits of this are pretty interesting, for example a part about how any evidence against a person, even if circumstantial, used to be sufficient for that person to be considered at least a little guilty - not just more likely to eventually be found guilty, but actually guilty already. Guilty enough for punishment and judicial torture aimed at uncovering further evidence of further guilt. Also, a part about how the accused was never allowed to know the nature of his supposed crime or the evidence against him, which reminded me of Kafka.
But I'm not sure what Foucault's point(s?) really was, and a lot of stuff about the physical body being the focus of the punishment etc left me cold - maybe it went over my head, I dunno. I didn't find the writing very clear, and I wasn't even hungover for some of the parts that I read. Maybe I'm too dumb to get it, or maybe there isn't much to get. Either way, this is my verdict, now tell me yours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spectacle of the Scaffold.