Shawn's Reviews > The Z Word

The Z Word by Bella Street

Jan 06, 2012

bookshelves: favorite-authors, from-the-author, signed-copies, won-in-giveaway, series, 2012-reads, own
Read from December 29, 2011 to January 06, 2012

Seffy and her friends find themselves thirty years in the past, surrounded by zombies, and totally screwed. As if her unstable friendships weren’t enough drama. Now not only do they have to try and salvage what remains of their friendship but they need to dodge one wave of retro zombie mobs after another and figure out how they wound up thirty years in the past smack dab in the middle of nowhere Montana in the first place.

Let me start by saying that this book is my first official zombie book read! Eep!
When I started this book it was hard for me to relate with the characters. They are all from LA…totally into vanity and not really grounded at all. Seffy in particular just couldn’t seem to gain my sympathy. She is a bit self-absorbed and well…useless in the beginning of the novel. But this is clearly the whole point.

Based on the smooth and seamless character development you don’t really realize as the reader when you stopped finding the characters a bit annoying and when you started rooting for them. Each character is so different and true to themselves yet they all still manage to grow and adapt to their unfortunate situation. Relationships grow and change and every character, Seffy specifically well…grows up.

Bella Street has a clear and unmistakable talent for storytelling. She somehow made me care about characters who at first I might have enjoyed being eaten by zombies! I got to that pivotal point when reading the book where I just didn’t want to put it down and couldn’t wait to see what happened next!
There is so much going on in this story, so many mysteries, secrets, and events that you can’t possibly get bored or say that it was slow moving for even a second. Yet at the same time it never felt overwhelmingly complex. I still have questions of course but that’s to be expected from any great series. Not to mention the crazy cliff hanger! Can’t wait to read the next installment!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Z Word.

12/29/2011 page 43
01/03/2012 page 239
68.0% "Ooops, I'm updating the wrong book status! :)"
01/05/2012 page 270