Darby's Reviews > The Red Tent

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Sep 21, 08

bookshelves: 2008, drama-romance, historical-fiction
Read in September, 2008

There are some books I read and I can't get out of my head while reading them and long after. The Lovely Bones, The Secret Life of Bees, The Time Traveler's Wife -- all books that really just grabbed me and pulled me in so much that I couldn't wait to get back to reading it.

Unfortunately The Red Tent is not one of those books for me. I would put the book down after reading it for a bit and then come back to it but I often had to reread a few pages to "remember" what had been happening and where I left off in the story as it just didn't stay with me.

All that said I am glad I read it. I enjoyed some of the stories. I liked it more after Dinah was in Egypt. I felt the story picked up and I went through the book much faster after that point.

One thing though I enjoyed of the first half of the book is the stories of the red tent that Dinah's mothers stayed in during their period. The idea of it and the idea of rituals surrounding that time of the month and actually just becoming a woman were something I wish we had more of in this day and age. The ritual of being a woman.

This book doesn't follow the Bible. It is historical fiction so keep that in mind when reading it -- otherwise it might make you upset she protrayed some in the Bible in certain ways that aren't always positive.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Tent.