stephanie's Reviews > Stick Figure

Stick Figure by Lori Gottlieb

May 11, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, adolescent, crazypeoplememoirs, eating-disorders, young-adult
Read in June, 2008

honestly, i was surprised at liking it this much. i kind of dragged my heels - the idea of reading the journal of an eleven year old isn't my usual cup of tea - but somehow (i'm sure through some very clever editing), a real person emerges, with a story that is important to tell.

more than the scenes of her in the hospital, more even, really, than i think lori's actual anorexia, the importance of the this story is how it all started, how seemingly innocuous comments about weight and food and dieting can effect so many people on so many levels. it makes me wonder what would happen if dieting and any talk of it were just banned from our society. would women be happier, or would we find something else to obsess about?

her mom was the most depressing character in the entire thing, i thought, and i was kind of flummoxed by the psychiatric care she got - then again, this was decades ago, when The Golden Cage was apparently the only book to give someone when thinking about anorexia.

surprisingly insightful, though it's clear little lori didn't know what she was doing, really, she was just writing down what she heard, and what she perceived as injustices.

i would just counter her final comment that men don't have the same body issues - it's true, not to the same degree, but eating disorders and body image issues are on a total rise in males - it's just supposed to be a "woman thing" so there's even more shame attached to it for men. not only that, but men "getting into shape" and "building muscle" and eating weird diets are things that society takes for granted at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stick Figure.