Colleen's Reviews > The Diplomat's Wife

The Diplomat's Wife by Pam Jenoff

Jul 14, 08

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in June, 2008

I read this one because the title caught my eye, and was seriously disappointed. The beginning of the story tracing Marta's ordeal with the Gestapo and her subsequent time in a refugee hospital was by far the best part of the story, but once Paul's plane crashed, both the story and the book headed downhill.

Thought it opened strongly, the book never really took off for me- neither of the two big shockers were at all surprising to me because they were so telegraphed ahead of time (though knowing they were coming didn't make them any more realistic or believable...) The book had potential, but I feel like it just glossed over the issues it raised, and I never really connected with any of the characters. I certainly won't be rushing out to pick up the Kommandant's Girl because I fear it will be an equally shallow treatment of a potentially interesting story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diplomat's Wife.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I haven't read this, but I did just get only nine chapters through The Kommandant's Girl before deciding to give up on it. I'd say "shallow treatment of a potentially interesting story" is dead on.

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo I preferred The Kommandant's Girl. Emma/Anna is a lot more believable than Marta. I couldn't get to grips with Marta!