Meg's Reviews > The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb

The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin

Oct 08, 2011

Read in October, 2011

I can finally review this book since our book club (The Jolly Girls Book Club, ha!) has met and discussed. Growing up next to Bridgeport, CT I have always been fascinated with Lavinia Warren who stood 2 ft. 8 inches tall and was perfectly porportioned. This book was written as if from Lavinia's own hand. At times Vinnie's character is very raw, and hard to like. I would then remember what it must have been like for her, and found it much easier to relate. She was stubborn, brave, selfish, loving to a few, smart, determined, proud yet ashamed...so many layers! She did not want to be just a survivor, she wanted to LIVE! She wanted adventure! And oh did she get it! I also loved the characters of Barnum and Vinnie's sister Minnie who was even smaller than she was. Lavinia was truly an amazing woman who has captured the hearts of Queens, Generals, Presidents and the people of the world for over 100 years.

*I undertstand Vinnie's dislike of Utah and polygamy, yet I cannot imagine the wives of Brigham Young being as sour as described. Oh well!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb.

Quotes Meg Liked

Melanie Benjamin
“Never would I allow my size to define me. Instead I would define it.”
Melanie Benjamin, The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb