Max's Reviews > Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan

Roberts Ridge by Malcolm MacPherson

Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from October 10 to 12, 2011

Just a few short thoughts from me on this book: Overall, I enjoyed reading it, but I have read better reports on Iraq / Afghanistan from other authors.

The first half of the book unnerved me quite a bit with its descriptions of the private life of the soldiers. Don't get me wrong: I like hearing about their private life, and to see that they are normal human beings like everyone else. But the way it was done in this book was really getting on my nerves. Every time a new Person enters the story, their life is laid out in front of the reader. Which is still fine with me, but if you are getting approximately one sentence on the story on top of the mountain and then two pages about the Commander of the QRF, followed by one sentence of the story, followed by two pages about his troops, you are getting the impression that the author tried to push up the page count.

After the first half, we know about every soldier and the real report begins. I enjoyed that part of the book a lot more, as it was a good report, but even here, I have read better. If I would be asked if I would recommend the book, i'd say it's decent, but I would not spend too much money on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roberts Ridge.

10/11/2011 page 91