Tommy's Reviews > Heat

Heat by Mike Lupica

M_50x66
May 11, 08

Heat is a fiction book. Michael Arroyo is a twelve year old Cuban immigrant. His father, his brother, and he live happily in New York till the father poops. Carlos, Michael’s brother, and Michael try and keep it a secret till Carlos turns eighteen and can take custody of Michael. Michael is extremely talented at baseball (pitching) and has a dream of playing to the Little League World Series. Michael’s fantasies look promising until one challenging opponent asks for Michael’s birth certificate which, unfortunately, the Arroyo brothers cannot find. Michael needs find his birth certificate and keep their father’s death a secret if Michael wants to keep his dreams alive.
I thought was book was pretty well written. Mike Lupica described all the characters and how they relate to each other to make inner conflicts, which made the book more exciting. I thought that he built up to the climax by using most of the book with necessary but a tad bit bland. Once you got into the climax, it started getting really good. I thought one of the themes was poverty. Mike Lupica portrayed how hard it is for an immigrant to survive is. It requires a lot dedication and determination to keep working two tedious jobs.
I would recommend this book for very few people. For baseball players and fans, such as me, this would be a very good book. For people who do not like baseball or sports in general, this would probably not be a very good choice. (252)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I do not have the book with me at the moment and I need to know for a project I have to do on it what michael looks like? If you could let me know that would be great!!