Kayleigh Offley's Reviews > Sweetly

Sweetly by Jackson Pearce

Oct 25, 11

bookshelves: ya-fiction, fantasy, books-i-own
Read from October 08 to 10, 2011

This tale is a modernization of the classic tale of Hansel and Gretel and is the companion novel to sisters red. As I mentioned in my previous review; I really enjoyed sisters red but I have to say that I enjoyed this more! Although is maintains Pearce’s sarcastic writing style this tale has a darker tone to it. The novel has a lot more mystery, horror and was at times really quite spooky to read!

The scene setting and world is quickly built and I found myself lulled into the steady routines of the characters; which made many of the turns and twists in the plot rather unexpected.

The fenris do not show up as frequently in this book as they do in sisters red, but they are much more sinister and have more dramatic scenes! As I’ve said before I loved the werewolves being dangerous, with them being the ‘creepy monsters in the woods’. Pretty much all the scenes with them were either scary or action packed; and the action was pretty immense! (coming from someone who is not a fan of action!).

The characters in this book are simply wonderful; especially that of Sophia Kelley! What an intriguing character! Straight away there was so much mystery about her, and my instinct did not know whether or not to trust her. Immediately you start to see different sides to her character but you find yourself lulled into her sweet nature. There are also the community opinions about her character; which are not particularly favourable. The further I got through the novel, the more you realize you don’t know about Sophia and her family and this caused me to keep the pages turning as I was eager to find out what was going on!

Gretchen is the narrating character of this book all the way through. At the start she is haunted by memories of her lost twin sister and family; unable to really see herself as ‘one’ instead of a part of ‘two’. She is also hugely afraid of the woods and what she perceived to be the ‘witch’ in the woods that caused her family so much grief. She really grows as a character as the story develops – more than I ever though she would. This growth sees her step away from her brother’s protection and become a stronger being on her own. She literally learns to defend herself (by learning to shoot) and faces wholly up to her fears in the end.

Pearce visits the familiar theme of families and sibling relationships in this novel; as well as the theme of grief. Both are handled well; I was really able to feel the sadness that the characters felt. It was of course, interesting the read about the siblings, their bonds and the lengths they go to in order to protect and help each other. As an only child; I definitely enjoy this in books!

I’m really glad I picked this book up to read, it was a really good book and I have a feeling I will be reading everything that Jackson Pearce writes! I’m a huge fan ☺. Also; just to finish the review…the cover of the book was beautiful!! I simply knew that I would be purchasing this book is hard copy and not on my kindle!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetly.

10/09/2011 page 130