Sarah's Reviews > The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Jul 07, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Recommended to Sarah by: George Saunders in The Braindead Megaphone. He also warned again
Recommended for: critical readers
Read in July, 2008

I know, two stars for Huck Finn, a classic of American literature...but the ending! The unforgivable ending! When Tom Sawyer shows up at Aunt Sally and Uncle Silas' I really just wanted to stop reading. Says Huck of Tom's feelings about freeing the runaway slave, Jim:

"He said it was the best fun he ever had in his life, and the most intellectural; and said if he only could see his way to it we would keep it up all the rest of our lives and leave Jim to our children to get out; for he believed Jim would come to like [captivity and the attempts to free him] better and better the more he got used to it. He said that in that way it could be strung out to as much as eighty year, and would be the best time on record. And he said it would make us all celebrated that had a hand in it."

If that's not a metaphor for the entire white patriarchal society's role in the civil rights movement, I don't know what is.

This book is ridiculous, fun now and again, and truly of it's time. I really struggled to be engaged by it, felt a little guilty reading it in public, and was glad for it to be over. Still, despite everything unpleasant about it, I'm happy to have read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.