Kathryn's Reviews > All Clear

All Clear by Connie Willis

Oct 07, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, science-fiction
Read in July, 2011, read count: 1

All Clear is the sequel to Blackout. In this book, three historians (time travelers) have realized that they’re stranded in London during the beginning of the Blitz, and are trying everything they can think of to get back while also staying alive and not changing anything.

All Clear is just as strong as Blackout, if not stronger. I was on tenterhooks the entire time, reading as fast as I possibly could as I attempted to piece together the different narratives and figure out how on earth Oxford (in the future) was going to find them and get them back to their own time before anyone died. (One of the tricky bits about time travel is that you can’t be in the same time/place twice; I guess the continuum just kills you to avoid paradox. One of the three travelers had already been to WWII, so she was coming up on her limit.) The characters get themselves embroiled in all kinds of troubles, and the sudden appearance of someone they know from Oxford doesn’t help, because he’s trapped in the past, too.

Eventually, of course, everything comes together and we get a mostly happy ending. But boy oh boy, was I ever on the edge of my seat getting there!

I highly recommend Blackout and All Clear.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Clear.