Soma's Reviews > Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

May 11, 08

Read in May, 2008

Both "Blink" and "The Tipping Point" are nonfiction writings that deal with social structures and human tendancies and the unassuming look at these.
"Tipping" is more a look at society on a large scale. It has to do with trends: what makes something popular and who is involved in that process and why it works. This isn't a look at advertising or corporate businesses (although the does look at those, too) but rather a journey into the dynamics and parts of these trends. It's an intriguing and well written book, ideal for anyone who wants to know how social trends work. It has pracitcal applications as well, if you have any desire to make social changes yourself.

"Blink" is more on a personal level, and looks at how our subconcious works and how important it is in our daily life and daily choices. This book is amazing, and I highly recommend it for everyone. "Tipping" is really interesting and carries some amazing social insights, but only applies directly to those who wish to institute change, "Blink" on the other hand is a must-read for anyone who has ever wondered why they make the split-second decisions they make and whether they're good or bad. Which I hope is everyone.

Malcolm Gladwell has an amazing way of writing as though he was chatting over a cup of coffee. His books are full of amazing insight, research, and profound ideas that revolutionize the world we live it, but there is never a point that you feel lost, like these ideas are only something the smart kids can truly understand.
Another thing I truly enjoy is his absolute lack of preachieness. His opinions are strongly stated, but never forced on you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink.