Shelley's Reviews > Pack Animals

Jan 19, 09

bookshelves: sci-fi, whoniverse
Recommended for: Trin, Jack/Ianto fans
Read in January, 2009

All right, let's get the shallow out of the way first: Awesome Jack/Ianto interactions. Seriously. Dates, teasing, hand holding, banter, affection, kissing, Ianto naked (okay, and *spoiler*, but Jack was still appreciative), etc. They were completely awesome and major thumbs up on that front. I also enjoyed all the Welshiness (most authors avoid it entirely, but he wasn't afraid to use very Welsh names and locations and words) and practicing my pronunciations.

The more literary review: This was actually a solid plot, with a lot of tension thrown in; it really read like a good episode of the show. All of the characters (including Rhys) were utilized well and they worked as a cohesive team. Owen was actually well written, even his death angst. (Huge relief after the horror of Skypoint.) The story was actually quite scary in parts, with lots of action, and I was fairly impressed. If only there weren't such obnoxious dialogue tags - Jack would note things five lines in a row, people bleated constantly, and the author apparently has an aversion to the word "said." Bummer, because everything else was so well written that those tags would take me out of the story just about every time.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pack Animals.

message 1: by Noran (new) - added it

Noran Miss Pumkin where are you going?

Shelley Washington DC. :) A visit to my best friend, with a few added inaugural plans.

message 3: by Trin (new)

Trin Why does my library refuse to stock these? ESPECIALLY THE GENDERFUCK ONE?!

message 4: by Noran (new) - added it

Noran Miss Pumkin they are not that pricey via amazon-at least when i ordered them pre-ordered. my hubby loves the series-so books makes gifts for an IT man.

message 5: by Noran (new) - added it

Noran Miss Pumkin Oh Shelley, just viewed sunday's concert vie HBO in-line-I am jealous of you being there girlfriend.
HAPPY TUESDAY!!!! :)

Shelley ILL, Trin! Some library in CA must stock them. LOL I'm about to start the genderfuck one today; can't wait. I'd lend you my copies, but I have a habit of dog-earing the pages with lines or characterizations I like. (Something I only do for TW and Who books, but makes rereading fun. *g*)

Noran, I'm having so much fun! Just being around so many happy people is exciting. I'll share my pics of DC when I get home.

message 7: by Trin (new)

Trin Well, I don't mind margin notes if that's the issue, but I also understand if you don't want to trust your books to the postal service. ;-) I'd be willing to loan you something in trade, though, if you like!

Shelley No notes, just lots of bent page corners. If it doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother me. *g* I can mail them out this weekend after I get home. Want this one and the genderfuck? Any others? There have been a few good ones in earlier sets. Let me know, and then just mail them back when you're done.

message 9: by Noran (new) - added it

Noran Miss Pumkin what are you doing tomorrow?

Shelley Heh. Staying warm and watching the inauguration on TV. LOL I got this close, and that's plenty close enough.

message 11: by Trin (new)

Trin Shelley wrote: "No notes, just lots of bent page corners. If it doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother me. *g* I can mail them out this weekend after I get home. Want this one and the genderfuck? Any others? ..."

That would be so great, thank you! I'd love those and any you think are superb. Or, er. If I am going to be really greedy...are your original President's Daughter sequels available to borrow? My library is sadly lacking there, too.

Please let me know if there's anything from my collection that you would like—I would love to return the favor!

Do you need my email or do you have it?