Peter Okolo's Reviews > Street Love

Street Love by Walter Dean Myers

M 50x66
Oct 07, 2011

Read in October, 2011

The main character, Damien, was raised in a "gang-type" environment. He is very smart. He actually gets accepted into Brown University in the book. He eventually finds a soul mate; a beautiful woman in which her name is Junice. She didn't have a good family history. For example, her mom was in jail. She was living a difficult life in the streets. They both are wanting to make their lives better with each other with all the struggle they are going through. No matter the obstacles they battle through, they plan to be together regardless of the consequences. I thought the book was interesting because of the rhyming and life-type situations. I would recommend this book specifically to Black American teens. To myself, Damien's intellengence relates to mine because I am smart too; stereotypically speaking, not many black people are strong in intellegence. This book reminds me of Romeo and Juliet because of the love situations that are contained in the book. To the world, the book was reality in a lot of cities; love problems (how the relationship can't work out because of personal problems), street activities (gangbanging, drug dealing, etc.), and family problems (mother in jail, no guardian, older siblings raising their younger siblings, etc.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Street Love.