Lori McD's Reviews > Mr. Cavendish, I Presume

Mr. Cavendish, I Presume by Julia Quinn

Oct 08, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit, easy-read, favorite-author, romance, series, british-lit, 2011_read
Read in October, 2011

1.5-2 stars (being kind)

This is a Julia Quinn book... and because I fell in love with her Bridgerton series, I fully expected to fall in love with this book, too. But I didn't. Not at all.

It's not really the two main characters' faults: Thomas (Duke of Wyndham) or Amelia. As a matter of fact, I found them quite adorable and wished, for their sakes, that I could love this book. But I didn't. Not at all. (Did I mention that already?)

The plot was so flimsy and full of holes... all kinds of innuendo and pieces that we're supposed to either suspect or know, based on the 1st book in this series, which I didn't read, because I was told the order didn't make a difference. The poor plot seems so obvious and so trite. But somehow, Thomas and Amelia give it spark.

I can't say that I liked Grace or Jack much at all, but to be fair, their characters weren't given much attention in this book. Probably because the 1st book is supposed to be all about this same story, but from their point of view. And that fact that (view spoiler)

I just couldn't care too much about the whole thing. I only cared about Thomas and Amelia, and despite the way the book ends, I felt a big let down at the finish. Something I've never EVER felt about the Bridgerton series. I can only surmise that this series was one of her first series, and Ms. Quinn was still finding her feet as a writer?

Dunno. But thank goodness this was a Kindle ebook loan from my local library, or I would have asked for my money back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Cavendish, I Presume.