Olivia's Reviews > By the Shores of Silver Lake

1019599
Oct 07, 2011

bookshelves: books-with-the-boy
Read in September, 2011

If patience is a virtue, than Ma has got to be about the most virtuous woman out there. She leaves civilization in Wisconsin to travel with Pa to Indian Territory to start a household and raise her children from scratch. That doesn't work out so they head back to civilization in Minnesota. That doesn't work out, so they chuck everything and leave civilization once again and head out to the Dakota territories to make their fortune. Based on her daughters books, she does all of this with a smile on her face. I'm a little skeptical about the smile, but regardless, the woman is a saint!

Gabe and I read this as a mother/son read aloud. We had some tears at the beginning when we found out that Mary was now blind due to Scarlet Fever. We had more tears when the Ingall's dog, Jack, dies. When we finished the book and Gabe sat down to write his book report, he said he couldn't do it because the book was too sad. I made him power through it anyway, but I sure love that little boy for his big heart!

We are taking a short break from this series and currently reading 'The 21 Balloons'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Shores of Silver Lake.