Val's Reviews > The Secret Circle: The Initiation and The Captive Part I TV Tie-in Edition (The Secret Circle, #1-2)

The Secret Circle by L.J. Smith

LAMEST.STORY.EVER.

I honestly cannot believe how many good reviews this book has. It was downright pathetic and made me want to hit someone on multiple occations. Really, I don't even wish this on my worst enemy.

SO much was wrong with this one, its boring even to write it. I'll just enumerate stuff:
1) Cassie "I have no personality whatsoever" Blake. She was bullied the entire novel and yet everyone kept going on about how she stood up for herself. Really? I must've missed that. But see, standing up for yourself takes a whole new meaning in this novel. Now it means just answering back. Yes or No answers will do perfectly.
2) Cassie "I get obsessed and worship everyone around me" Blake. Dude, she had a small glimpse at a pretty girl and was already obsessing over her being her friend, even her sister. Leighton Meester in The Roommate much?
3) Cassie "I have delusions of epic love stories with guys I just meet" Blake. Are you fucking kidding me? I hate those unnatural and certainly unreal love stories but can understand them to a certain extent. But she tells him SHE LOVES HIM the second time she sees him in her entire life? Bitch, please. Haven't you seen How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days or something?
4) Cassie "I'm weird and see stuff and not ONCE doubt my sanity" Blake. You know what they say: Crazy people don't know they're crazy.
5) Cassie "I'm a goody-goody but stab my BF the first chance I get" Blake. What can I say? It's all for the sake of real EPIC love.
6) Cassie "I'm the mature one here with loads of self-control" fucking Blake. Adam praises her for her self-control when actually her solution was to, and I quote, "We can't be alone, we can't seat near each other, touch or even think about it". What are you people, animals? Like she was in heat or something and can't get a grip on herself? Please, you say self-control, I say you might as well chain yourself to a tree.

Really. This is horrible. I even skimmed through some parts looking for the action, or the romance for that matter. Everything was forced into an otherwise teenager rant about cliques with awful character with no real qualities or depth.

P.S. I just have to highlight and share my favorite moment of the novel: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Circle.

11/06/2011 page 132
32.0% "Cassie Blake has got to be the most dull, uninteresting character I've ever read about."
11/06/2011 page 142
34.0% "I will start banging my head against the wall if I have to listen to her mention Diana's name again. Girl crush much? I hope Diana has seen The Roommate."

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-7 of 7) </span> <span class="smallText">(7 new)</span>

message 1: by Pablo (new)

Pablo Martinez Never in my life I would go near a book like this one. I liked the review though.... nice that people explain WHY they give shitty or great scores

message 2: by Val (new) - rated it 1 star

Val Thank you! And you would do well to avoid it. I keep remembering and adding stuff I hated about it. Really, it's haunting. LOL.

message 3: by Andrés (new)

Andrés I'm going to venture a wild guess here and say you didn't like Cassie very much. XD

message 4: by Val (new) - rated it 1 star

Val Andrés wrote: "I'm going to venture a wild guess here and say you didn't like Cassie very much. XD"

LOL, what gave me away? But "didn't like" is an understatement. I'm just glad the TV series changed her completely.

message 5: by OddModicum Rachel (last edited Jul 30, 2014 05:28AM) (new) - added it

OddModicum Rachel man... I laughed like a loon at your clever review.. I think these books might just be one of those guilty pleasures for some people... horrible, and really really rotten for you, but impossible to quit. I didn't finish The Secret Circle, which was the first L.J. Smith book I tackled. I have a hard time with YA titles with no depth or solid plotline, and as much as I get a kick out of the shows, I figured the books would be craptastic if you're over 15 or so. I read about halfway, and I didn't hate it with the fire of 1000 suns like you did (snort!), but it was silly and schlocky, one of those goofy 'I'd die for you!' naive teen smooch fests with no basis in actual human emotion, and something I'll definitely have to be in that bittersweet 'reminiscing on my younger days' mood to pick up again. I did, however, agree 100% with each of the points you tackle. You know, now that I think about it.. my willingness to consider suffering through this one in the future might be more down to the swoonworthy Thomas Dekker as Adam in that short lived CW show. That explains a lot, actually. He's flat out done it for me since Sarah Conner Chronicles.

message 6: by Val (new) - rated it 1 star

Val Yup. I agree. Thomas Dekker is probably the only culprit here. Eyelashes be damned.

OddModicum Rachel Val wrote: "Yup. I agree. Thomas Dekker is probably the only culprit here. Eyelashes be damned."

It IS the lashes! Good call! I remember being so thrilled when he came out of the closet, and thinking something along the lines of 'well that just saved 1000 lucky women from the heartbreak of their lives'.