Rebecca's Reviews > Light on Snow

Light on Snow by Anita Shreve

Oct 07, 11

bookshelves: chicklit
Read in July, 2011

Another Shreve book. I quite enjoyed this book a lot, for another quick read. The story was simple and engaging and only had a small cast of characters and the minor characters didn't add or take much away. If you didn't pay attention to them, you didn't miss much. Girl and Father live in the middle of nowhere Vermont, having moved there a few years ago after the death of Wife and baby Sister. Father did not take it well and they live a small life. Girl goes to school and is fairly normal considering the situation but has to take care of Father and house more then usual. They go hiking in their woods one day when they find a newborn baby who has just been left out. They take it into town and make sure it's okay the hospital. A few days later, a woman comes to the house with the ruse of looking at furniture which the Father now makes, but turns out this is the women who had the baby. A huge storm comes in and she stays with them for a day or so to wait it out even though the Father doesn't want her too, but he doesn't really have a choice. Woman tells them what happened and why she and her boyfriend did it and that she regrets it and wants the baby back. The end is a little hazy to me. Once the storm passes, the Women goes into town to tell the police what happened and I forget what happens. I am sure a sort of happy ending but I can't remember details. I liked the story a lot though and liked that it was told from the Girl's point of view.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light on Snow.