The Window Seat's Reviews > Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Oct 07, 11

** spoiler alert ** Check out my reviews at http://thewindowseat13.blogspot.com/

This week, I read a book that just shocked me. First of all, I was shocked that I liked it because the cover art is just bizarre (see picture). Second, I was shocked that I liked a book that was generally geared for a younger age group (probably high school or college age). The subject matter is unusual for me - since I prefer fantasy or historical romance novels - and yet, when I started skimming the book, I was absolutely captivated by it. The book is Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. I still am digesting what I read, but I do know that I would recommend the book.

The book focuses on Abby Abernathy, a college freshman who goes off to college with her best friend (America) hoping to hide from her family and her past. She is someone who has grown up in unusual circumstances and she is a tough cookie with a desire to become an upstanding citizen. Or at least her own idea of what a model citizen would be. Exactly what she doesn't need is the growing attraction she feels toward America's boyfriend's cousin, the campus bad boy, Travis. But feel it she does. More confusing for Abby is that the campus bad boy seems to be changing before her eyes and settling down thanks to her influence.

Despite her growing feelings for her new "best friend", Abby tries to put up roadblocks by dating the campus prep. Parker is everything she thinks she wants and everything she thinks is good for her. He is smart, well off, and on his way to Harvard Med School. What wasn't to like? But Abby is continually surprised that as she gets ready for dates with Parker, all she can think about is Travis and his reactions.

Travis, on the other hand, knows exactly what he wants. He is just bidding his time, waiting for Abby to trust him. Heck, everyone on campus has picked up on the fact that Travis is a totally different guy since he met Abby and most of them believe he has fallen in love with her. Unfortunately, only Abby can't see the truth that is staring her right in the face.

But Abby's past gets in the way. Just as Abby and Travis begin to come to terms with what they could be together, Abby is reminded of the scars that her upbringing has left on her psyche. And in trying to navigate through the challenges, Travis starts to get sucked into what Abby was and what it could mean for the two of them. And since Abby was running away from those very challenges, Travis seems to prove to Abby that he is the last thing that she needs and that being with him would destroy any hope of her leaving her past behind.

The characters are likeable and believable. Travis is the epitome of bad-boy-turned-good-through-the-love-of-a-good-woman. He is, in fact, irresistible as he steps back, lets Abby work through her demons, and waits to catch her if she falls. And she does, repeatedly. And when he catches her, you just want to say, "Thank God!". The two characters admit that their relationship is a tornado and, at times, a disaster. But it is indeed a beautiful one! I devoured this book in a matter of hours and I think that, despite the cover (which I hate), this is a book that will touch your heart! :) I know that this book has stuck in my head since the moment I put it down. It is intriguing and disturbing, but in the end, a real pleasure to read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Disaster.

Quotes The Window Seat Liked

Jamie McGuire
“To douchebags!" he said, gesturing to Brad. "And to girls that break your heart," he bowed his head to me. His eyes lost focus. "And to the absolute fucking horror of losing your best friend because you were stupid enough to fall in love with her.”

Jamie McGuire
“I know we're fucked up, alright? I'm impulsive, and hot tempered, and you get under my skin like no one else. You act like you hate me one minute, and then need me the next. I never get anything right, and I don't deserve you...but I fucking love you, Abby. I love you more than I loved anyone or anything ever. When you're around, I don't need booze, or money, or the fighting, or the one-night stands...”

Jamie McGuire
“It's dangerous to need someone that much. You're trying to save him and he's hoping you can. You two are a disaster." I smiled at the ceiling. "It doesn't matter what or why it is. When it's good, Kara... it's beautiful.”

Jamie McGuire
“You know why I want you? I didn’t know I was lost until you found me. I didn’t know what alone was until the first night I spent without you in my bed. You’re the one thing I’ve got right. You’re what I’ve been waiting for, Pigeon.”

Jamie McGuire
“I clinked my bottle against his. “To being the only girl a
guy with no standards doesn’t want to sleep with.” I said,
taking a swig.
“Are you serious?” he asked, pulling the bottle from my
mouth. When I didn’t recant, he leaned toward me. “First of
all…I have standards. I’ve never been with an ugly woman.
Ever. Second of all, I wanted to sleep with you. I thought
about throwing you over my couch fifty different ways, but I
haven’t because I don’t see you that way anymore. It’s not
that I’m not attracted to you, I just think you’re better than
that.”
I couldn’t hold back the smug smile that crept across my
face. “You think I’m too good for you.”
He sneered at my second insult. “I can’t think of a single
guy I know that’s good enough for you.”

Jamie McGuire
“I don't get scared very often," he said finally. "I was scared the first morning I woke up and you weren't here. I was scared when you left me after Vegas. I was scared when I thought I was going to have to tell my dad that Trent had died in that building. But when I saw you across the flames in the basement...I was terrified. I made it to the door, was a few feet from the exit, and I couldn't leave.
"What do you mean? Are you crazy?" I said, my head jerking up to look into his eyes.
"I've never been so clear about anything in my life. I turned around, made my way to that room you were in, and there you were. Nothing else mattered. I didn't even know if we would make it out or not, I just wanted to be where you were, whatever that meant. The only thing I'm afraid of is a life without you, Pigeon."
I leaned up, kissing his lips tenderly. When our mouths parted, I smiled. "Then you have nothing to be afraid of. We're forever.”

Jamie McGuire
“I fucking love you!” He grabbed each side of my face,
slamming his lips against mine. “I love you so much,
Pigeon,” he said, kissing me over and over.
“Just remember that in fifty years when I’m still kicking
your ass in poker,” I giggled.
He smiled, triumphant. “If it means sixty or seventy
years with you, Baby…you have my full permission to
do your worst.”
I raised one eyebrow, “You’re gonna regret that.”
“You wanna bet?”
I smiled with as much deviance as I could muster.”

Jamie McGuire
“I had a thing for you since the night of that first fight.”
“What?” I said with a dubious expression.
“It’s true. You in that cardigan with blood all over you?
You looked absolutely ridiculous,” he chuckled.
“Thanks.”

Jamie McGuire
“He scanned my face with careful hope in his eyes.
“You love me?”
“It’s the tattoos,” I shrugged.
A wide smile stretched across his face, making his
dimple sink into his cheek.”

Jamie McGuire
“I need to hear you say it. I need to know you’re mine.”
“I’ve been yours since the second we met.”

Jamie McGuire
“I thought I was going to sweat five years before I'd feel like this."
"I wanted it as much as you did. I've just got a hell of a poker face" I smiled, pressing my lips against his.”

“You can’t tell me
what to do anymore, Travis! I don’t belong to you!”
In the second it took him to turn and face me, his
expression had contorted into anger. He stomped toward
me, planting his hands on the bed and leaning into my face.
“WELL I BELONG TO YOU!” The veins in his neck
bulged as he shouted, and I met his glare, refusing to even
flinch. He looked at my lips, panting. “I belong to you.”

Jamie McGuire
“Travis grabbed my wrists and wrapped them around his middle. "There's nothing to hold on to but me, Pidge. Don't let go," he said pushing the bike backward with his feet.”

Jamie McGuire
“Make way! Move it, people! Lets make room for this poor woman's hideously disfigured, ginormous brain! She's a fucking genius!”

Jamie McGuire
“America's eyes darted in Kara's direction. "Good idea, Kara. The fact that you're a total bitch comes in handy sometimes.”

Jamie McGuire
“I've been drinking, all right? Your skin was three inches from my face, and you're beautiful, and you smell fucking awesome when you sweat. I kissed you! I'm sorry! Get over yourself!”

Jamie McGuire
“I perched my chin on his shoulder and smiled. "That was because you were trying to win our bet."
He angled his neck to face me. "Damn right I was.”

Jamie McGuire
“You just want me to hold you until you fall asleep?"
I didn't answer.
He shifted to look straight into my eyes. "I should say no to prove a point," he said, his eyebrows pulling together. "But I would hate myself later if I said no and you never asked me again.”

Jamie McGuire
“And I know it doesn't matter what I say now, because I fucked things up... just like I always do."
"Trav?"
"Yeah?"
"Don't drive drunk on your bike anymore, okay?”

Jamie McGuire
“Travis took a step, but America pointed her finger at him. "So help me God, Travis! If you try to stop her, I will douse you with gasoline and light you on fire while you sleep!”

Jamie McGuire
“Let me guess, it's the love of your life?" I said quoting Travis' statement about his motorcycle.
"No, it's a car. The love of my life will be a women with my last name.”

Jamie McGuire
“You slept just fine in the recliner. Why couldn't you sleep with me?"
"You mean next to a guy who still smelled like the pair of bar flies he had just sent home? I don't know! How selfish of me!”

Jamie McGuire
“I feel like any second you're going to figure out what a piece of shit I am and leave me.”

Jamie McGuire
“You're not going to say hi to Thomas?" I whispered.
He didn't look at me when he spoke, watching his family hug and laugh. "I got one night with you. I'm not going to waste a second of it.”

Jamie McGuire
“You just asked me to marry you," he said, still waiting for me to admit some kind of trickery.
"I know."
"That was the real deal, you know. I just booked two tickets to Vegas for noon tomorrow. So that means we're getting married tomorrow night."
"Thank you."
His eyes narrowed. "You're going to be Mrs. Maddox when you start classes on Monday."
"Oh," I said, looking around. Travis raised an eyebrow.
"Second thoughts?"
"I'm going to have some serious paperwork to change next week."
He nodded slowly, cautiously hopeful. "You're going to marry me tomorrow?"
I smiled. "Uh huh"
"You're serious?"
"Yep."
"I fucking love you!" He grabbed each side of my face, slamming his lips against mine. "I love you so much, Pigeon," he said, kissing me over and over.”

Jamie McGuire
“I’ve been drinking, all right? Your skin was three inches
from my face, and you’re beautiful, and you smell fucking
awesome when you sweat. I kissed you! I’m sorry! Get over
yourself!”
His excuse made the corners of my mouth turn up.
“You think I’m beautiful?”
He frowned with disgust. “You’re gorgeous and you
know it. What are you smiling about?”
I tried to quell my amusement to no avail. “Nothing.
Let’s go.”