AMillJax's Reviews > Breath, Eyes, Memory

Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat

Oct 07, 11

This book was an excellent picture of life for an immigrant who can feel confused about their life and how different their culture is from ours. I enjoyed the book immensely because it allowed me to see that it's not easy for immigrant children to come to our country and assimilate to our culture. Especially when you have issues such as sexual abuse. Sophie's mother didn't think that she was abusing her because it was what every mother had done to her child since the beginning of time. To us, in our culture, it is wrong to touch your child this way. I can feel the hurt and shame in Sophie when she sees her mother for the first time after her mother abandoned her. It brings all those feelings she had bottled up from the abuse.

Edwidge Danticat really has a voice in this book and many may not understand it, but she told her story in such a way that you can't ignore what happens to her and why she becomes the woman she is at the end, her journey only half over. Great read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breath, Eyes, Memory.