Bookworm's Reviews > The Miserable Mill

Oct 07, 2011

bookshelves: 5-stars
Read on October 07, 2011

Warning: Spoilers

Wow. So far, I haven't read the next ones in the series and even though The Wide Window is still my favorite, I really loved this one. It has the same repetitive qualities of the past books (Count Olaf in disguise, new guardian with a quality that separates them from the others, funny vocabulary lessons, ridiculously long translations of Sunny's speech, etc) but it's told in a way that I don't find annoying. It's sort of like Scooby-Doo, where every episode ends in "I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids!" In this book, Count Olaf dresses up as a receptionist, nostalgic about having children to raise, the new guardian is horrible to them and they find themselves living and working in Lucky Smells Lumbermill. I liked the hypnosis and the climax with the saw and I don't know, everything in general! The difference here is that the guardian isn't killed off in the end, which I found a bit disappointing. Sorry, I'm kind of morbid. Anyway, I love this series and am really looking forward to the next book, The Austere Academy. I know I will not be disappointed because this is Mr. Snicket we're talking about and that guy is just awesome. Which brings me to another thing: Am I the only one who finds it totally awesome every time Lemony makes a comment about his past? It's all just a huge ball of awesomeness.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miserable Mill.

10/07/2011 page 63
32.0% "Good so far. Let's see where Count Olaf comes in..."